Saturday, April 08, 2006

I'm Not From Chicago...

I hear this a lot working at the theater.

Now, usually, it makes sense. "I'm not from Chicago... how do I get to the theater?" "I'm not from Chicago... are restaurants near the theater?" That makes sense.

Personally, when I'm in a strange city and I need to, say, ask directions, I don't preface it with a disclaimer as to my place of origin.

I figure that a) the person I'm asking the question of, if blessed with even a small amount of intelligence, will be able to infer from the question itself that I Am Not From Around There, and b) the person I'm asking the question of really doesn't give a shit where I'm not from. But I digress.

What I find is interesting is when the phrase turns up in kind of a non-sensical way...

"I'm not from Chicago... do I put money in the parking meter?"

"I'm not from Chicago... is Indian food good?"

"I'm not from Chicago... will it rain when we're in Chicago?"

1 comment:

Chris said...

You're not from here are you?