Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Momentary Temptation

I was at the Village Thrift today, the one on Clark Street near where I live.

(Unfamiliar with the Village Thrift? They're a chain of thrift stores. The stuff is cheap. The stores all smell bad.)

They play music with occasional announcements. Today, one of the announcements announced that the Village is hiring, full-time, benefits, just ask!

I seriously considered it, for about 2.7 seconds. Just think, dibs on the cool stuff that comes in... maybe an employee discount (Sure, a pair of jeans for five bucks is a great deal. But five bucks, 10% off? Better deal.)

Then reality reared its head. I don't speak the language, for one. I would end up smelling like the Village Thrift (see above).

At which point, I happened to look up. A woman nearby had decided to try on a skirt. This woman had dropped her pants and was shimmying into the skirt when I looked up, allowing me, and all the other folks around, the chance to take in her too-small panties in their valiant struggle to contain her posterior.

No comments: