Sunday, June 18, 2006

What's New At The Chicago Public Library

Bored, I went to the Chicago Public Library website and did a search of their catalog for my favorite singer, Dolly Parton. Much to my surprise, they had a number of her albums, including several that have never been made available on CD (I'll admit, usually for good reason).

I was delighted to see the CPL had a copy of "The Great Pretender" in its collection: a mid-80s album Dolly did covering songs she liked. One of my favorite songs is Petula Clark's classic "Downtown," and Dolly does it. So I ordered the LP. I can copy it to CD and enjoy Dolly doing "Downtown" whenever I like.

I went to my local branch and checked out some books, and the librarian (unlike most CPL librarians, he was young, attractive and male) told me I had something to pick up. He got it. It was the Dolly album.

I asked if I could come back and get it, as I was riding a bike and the bag I had was not big enough to hold a record album.

"Oh!" He exclaimed. "Do you know what I would do?"

Um, no. What?

"This!" Whereupon he placed the album carefully atop his head, spread his arms out, and took a stroll behind the desk.

Oh. Okay.

1 comment:

Kitty Russell said...

Oh, so he was not only young, attractive and male, but graceful/talented and funny in a wacky kind of way! Now, what branch of the CPL do you haunt, dear?